In true Labor Day style, we got back to business on the garage this weekend. Phase II (of four phases) is focused around the west wall of the garage, which began as a modge-podge of poorly-fitted corrugated sheet metal tacked up around an off-centered, non-functioning, 100-year-old window. Don’t get me wrong–I actually loved that window (and was devastated when, a week after closing escrow, the guys we hired to clear the jungle that was our yard shattered the bottom pane out), but for my new studio’s sake, we needed more windows, and the current one wasn’t going to cut it (especially with the chicken wire we put over the bottom of it to ‘replace’ the missing glass).
First things, first….that window had to come out:
Whilst the Texan swung away with a mallet at those panels (and disturbed the peace for miles around), I was busy helping like this:
After getting yelled at for my lack of focus (Chance didn’t get yelled at), I was assigned to a very important task: rusty nail collection. As they popped out like bullets, I had to duck and cover, then scrounge for them in the bushes. I’m important, you know.
Finally, after A LOT of noise (there is nothing quite as beautiful as the siren song of a mallet on metal to win the good graces of our neighbors), the west wall was a nice little breezeway….
The next step was, of course, to reinforce the existing studs, and frame out for the new windows. Unfortunately, once again, this is where I leave off in order to not give away the end result. I’m all about suspense.